The possibility of a fire starting in an unusual way is a lot more common than one might think. Having an understanding of these rare risks can help individuals avoid similar fates. In honor of National Fire Prevention Week, we put together this list of odd, atypical fires that have occurred in the past:
Animals gone awry
The Mirror Daily, a major news publication, reports two particularly strange house fire causes - both of which involved animals.
In one incident, a pigeon picked up a lit cigarette and dropped it down a chimney setting the house ablaze. This may be a one-in-a-million calamity, but shows how important it is to close the flue when it is not in use.
Sometimes leaving your pet home alone can also be dangerous. The Mirror Daily reported two separate instances where dogs were the cause of house fires in the U.K, by accidently turning on a toaster and a stove, respectively, while nobody was home. Although these are also rare instances, many experts suggest unplugging the toaster and taking the dials off of the stove whenever dogs are left at home alone.
Improperly disposed fireplace ash
NBC Washington reports one fire this past March was set by fireplace ash that had not been properly disposed of. The homeowners placed the ash in an unsealed area of the garage, where it was exposed to other flammable materials and caused an explosion. Despite the fact that this tinder tends to rarely be a cause of major fires, it certainly can be when homeowners do not manage it properly. Homeowners need to place used ash in fire-proof canisters, or outside in a dirt patch, to avoid this fate.
RestorationMaster, a website that educates consumers on home-related matters, explains that there have been instances of sunlight shining through windows which acts as a conductor to start a fire on hardwood floors. While this may be rare, it is important to realize that glass and light can cause certain types of materials to burst into flames.
Homeowners can install thicker, non-flammable drapes and keep them closed during the day, especially when no one is home.
This might be the scariest cause of fires - a new, popular smartphone. The New York Times reports that one passenger on a Southwest Airlines flight had his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone smoke and catch ablaze while the plane taxied down the runway.
This has been an issue for that particular smartphone manufacture, which resulted in a recall of the devices a while back. However, as the source notes, this latest issue was with a replacement model.
First and foremost, with the variety of fire starters known, speak to your independent agent to ensure you have the right fire coverage to protect you and your family.