Distracted driving occurs when drivers divert their hands, eyes or attention from the road to focus on another activity. I’m pledging to spread the word about the need to end distracted driving with actionable behavior by asking friends and family to:
- Focus their full attention on the road and drive without reading or sending texts or emails, setting GPS destinations or using social media of any kind.
- Turn on the Do Not Disturb setting while driving; if not using an approved hands-free device, pull over to a safe location if they need to use their phone or do something else in the vehicle that is distracting.
- Keep their hands on the steering wheel and attention on the road at traffic lights.
- Deputize a passenger to do things on their behalf so that they can keep their focus on the road.
- Stop texting or end phone conversations with others once they learn the other person is driving.